The IRS is urging taxpayers to be aware that tax-related scams using the IRS’s name become more frequent at this time of year. Here are the suggestions the IRS offers that can help protect against scams and identity theft.
* Don’t carry your social security card or any documents that include your social security or taxpayer identification number.
* Don’t give a business these numbers just because they ask for them. Give them only when required.
* Protect your financial information.
* Check your credit report every 12 months.
* Secure personal information in your home.
* Protect your personal computers by using firewalls and anti-spam/virus software, updating security patches, and changing passwords for Internet accounts.
* Don’t give personal information over the phone, through the mail, or on the Internet unless you initiated the contact and are sure of the recipient.